miniblog: brrr

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

brrr

Yesterday was the coldest I have ever been in my life. Hands down. But it's amazing because I didn't die!!!! When we go out into freezing weather and freak out, stamping around and rushing to get inside, moaning and groaning in discomfort or pain etc, it's because our body, our oldest brain, is trying to save us from impending death. Of course our newer brain realizes there's no impending death, but if those two actually communicated on this issue you'd probably not be so quick to get inside.

Anyway, if you're lacking the Inuit-esque extra bloodvessels in your face/hands/feet, or if you just live in the South, when you venture out into the cold it can be a somewhat traumatic experience. What I realized yesterday is that, even though it's traumatic, I can still stay outside in it, I don't keel over, I don't just die automatically, I don't go into shock, and, well, I live to tell the tale! Which is rather freeing.

My morning bike ride to school:
Temperature: 42, 29 with wind chill (super strong wind yesterday)
Time: 30 minutes
Clothing: a long-sleeved t-shirt, a short sleeved t-shirt over that, a pair of jersey pants, boots, one half-glove (couldn't find the other), helmet. That's it.

I couldn't even my move my fingers when I got to the school. It was very interesting, I suppose that's what it feels like to be paralyzed: there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to move, and yet the body doesn't respond. And then, when it finally does, it's with zero force. Which really sucks when you're having to lock up your bike.

Anyway, lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home